And 'the most important archeological museum in Europe, with a rich collection of coins, an Egyptian section and a series of rooms which house pieces of exceptional importance. They relate to the large mosaic depicting "The Battle of Alexander at Issus, the Farnese Bull, the group of Tyrannicides, the Tablets of Heraclea and the halls of the Temple of Isis. These sculptures, murals, mosaics, weapons, pottery, vases, objects in bone and ivory, monili.L 'building of the Museum was built in the early years of '600 on a primitive system of the late '500, is intended to stable and never used. The new building, which was to host the University of Naples, was inaugurated in 1615 and was given the name "Palazzo dei Regi Studi". In 1777, transferred to the University, King Ferdinand IV of Bourbon Palace allocates the seat of the Bourbon Museum and the Royal Library and gave the task to the architect F. Escape to restore and modify the building. There were many changes over the years of architecture, the most substantial of which was raising the first floor on the two wings of the building. Between the end of '700 and early '800 were gradually arranged the rich Farnese collections - paintings, collections of antiquities and library - the first part placed in the Museo di Capodimonte, and the collections of the various royal palaces. The top 800 were transported to the Museum also found the antiquities from the middle of the '700 at Pompeii, Herculaneum and Stabia and exposed so far in the Herculaneum Museum of Portici. In 1816 the Museum, thus formed around the two large nuclei Farnese and Vesuvius, was named "Royal Bourbon Museum." During the last century followed each other many new entries, both from private collections or excavated material, coming mostly from Campania and southern Italy. Meanwhile, in 1860, with the unification of Italy, the Bourbon Museum became the property of the State, taking the brand name "National Museum". Between 1863 and 1875 I'istituto, who had always had problems with clutter and organizing the exhibition, was finally cleared up in good part by Giuseppe Fiorelli. A new general arrangement was made by Ettore Pais between 1901 and 1904 and it is followed by reorganization of individual collections, also made possible by the availability of new space determined by transfers from other work, in 1925, the National Library - the oldest Real library - and, in 1957, the Pinacoteca, which went to constitute the "National Museum and Galleries of Capodimonte". Remained so here only the rich collections of antiquities, the museum and then assumed its present identity of the Archaeological Museum. For several years the building is covered by a radical restoration, now almost completed, while realizing a comprehensive reorganization is aimed at documenting the collections on one hand the private collector, the other characteristics of the different contexts excavated material. Because of this work of reorganization numerous collections, such as those of the furnishings in gold and bronze, are now excluded from the tour.
basement ---> Epigraphs - Egyptian collection
ground floor ---> Sculptures - Sculpture Farnese - engraved gems
mezzanine ---> Mosaics - Sculpture - Collezione Astarita
Featured ---> Villa of the Papyri collections - Vascular - Salone della Meridiana - Section Topography - Mural - Temple of Isis - Model of Pompeii - silver, ivory, terracotta - Weapons - Medals